I’d like to welcome the newest member of our healthy muffins recipe family: Applesauce Muffins! Fluffy, tender oatmeal muffins made with cinnamon, applesauce, and a touch of honey, these pleasantly plump muffins contain no butter, no sugar, and best (and most importantly) of all, they are SO TASTY!
These healthy applesauce muffins are simple, cozy, and homey in the best possible way. They make me think of school day mornings and spontaneous hugs and fuzzy socks, all of which I would happily welcome more of in my life.
Well, maybe not the school day mornings, but if you are looking for healthy muffins for kids, these cinnamon applesauce muffins are super kid friendly and perfect for breakfasts on the go too!
The New Healthy Muffin Recipe You Need to Try
With the plethora of healthy muffin recipes on this website (including a handful of healthy oatmeal muffin recipes), I realize that it might seem a bit superfluous to add another, to which I say, can we ever have too many hugs? Or fuzzy socks? Or snug, healthy breakfasts? I think not!
And while I have a few different oatmeal muffin options—Healthy Blueberry Muffins, Banana Oatmeal Muffins, Maple Oatmeal Muffins—and even more non-oatmeal muffin options—Healthy Banana Muffins, Healthy Zucchini Muffins, ALL OF THESE MUFFINS—I did not have a recipe to suit what I was most craving: a good, old-fashioned applesauce muffin.
This craving seemed perfectly reasonable. I set out to make the very best muffins in the land.
Ta-da! Today’s recipe is it.
What’s in These Applesauce Muffins
- Spice and Everything Nice. I knew I wanted to make cinnamon applesauce muffins, and for extra flavor, I added cinnamon’s BFFs nutmeg and allspice. These two small touches make the muffins truly special.
- Natural Sweetener. I wanted to see if I could develop a recipe for applesauce muffins with no sugar, replacing it with honey instead. While honey is still a form of sugar, it’s more natural, and I simply adore the way its familiar, homey taste pairs with the oatmeal.
- No Butter. While I am certainly not opposed to butter in my muffin recipes, I decided to play around to see if I could make these muffins without it. To make sure the final muffins stayed nice and moist, I made these with oil (a small amount), though the majority of their softness and splendid texture comes from the applesauce itself. If you prefer butter, you can certainly use it instead of the coconut oil.
- 100% Whole Grain. But I promise they don’t taste like it! Enjoy the healthy breakfast boost and help yourself to another.
- Diet Flexible. If you’d like the oatmeal muffins to be gluten free, swap the white whole wheat flour for a 1:1 Gluten Free All Purpose Baking Blend like this one. For vegan applesauce muffins, use flax eggs and swap the maple syrup for honey.
- THE BEST APPLESAUCE MUFFINS YOU WILL EVER BAKE. I pinky promise!
Welcome to the healthy muffin family, Applesauce Muffins!
Recommended Tools to Make These Muffins
- This Brilliant Muffin Tin. It’s durable, easy to clean, and comes with a lid so that you can easily transport the muffins too.
- I like metal measuring cups because they wash well and don’t bend when I’m scooping a particularly hefty cup of oatmeal.
- I love these two-sided magnetic measuring spoons because they stay organized in my drawer. Also, two sides means fewer dishes when I’m in the middle of a recipe and need to use the same amount twice for different ingredients.